December 14, 2021
WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE A WRITER? HERE’S WHAT I DID
When I was a kid, I read a lot of books, mostly adventure stories and mysteries. I always kept my favorite books in a very special place. I would read them over and over again, imagining what it would be like to be my favorite character. I would write down my ideas and keep them in a scrapbook. I also clipped all kinds of pictures from magazines and created picture notes to show how a story could be written. Some of my notes for The Water Door date back to 1972! I was seventeen. Yes, that means I have been writing this book for how many years? LOL.
I also love to watch movies! Fascinating scenes and catchy phrases or words in movies can inspire you to write a chapter in your book, or even the whole book! You can use your imagination to make something you saw or heard in a movie be different. Really… How many vampire movies are there? It would take you a long time to count them! They’re all about vampires, but the stories and characters are different. How many sci-fi movies have you watched? I’ve watched hundreds for many years. Yes! Writers are always coming up with new ideas! Your imagination is endless — have fun with it!
Wanna become a writer like me? Here is a list of things you can do to become a writer:
- Read lots of books.
- Watch movies.
- Imagine what it would be like to be a character in your favorite movie or book.
- Write your story ideas down and keep them in a special notebook.
- Clip pictures from magazines and organize them in a scrapbook so they tell a story.
- Just sit down and write or record your thoughts on your cell phone.
- Close your eyes and think for a moment what it will be like to be an author, holding your first book in your hands for the first time…
Please send me an email to ask me any questions you have about how I became a writer.
I look forward to hearing from you!